Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day

For some reason, I have never been a very big fan of this holiday. I can't blame it on the fact that I am always alone, because that is not the case. In fact, this is the first year since high school that I haven't had a boyfriend or someone to spend this day with. I think it stems from not seeing the point in having a day allocated to celebrating love and relationships. If you love someone, you show them all the time. You don't need a certain day in the year that is dedicated to that. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of cute things that happen and all that, but it just seems senseless to me. And if I had someone to spend it with, I would probably make the most out of it, but it's just funny to me.

I tell my friends and family that I love them and show it to them throughout the year. Most guys that I know see this day as a pain in the ass. It is a day that they have to go out and buy their girlfriends, fiances, and wives something nice. The expectations seem so crazy. I know so many girls that wait for this day to come and expect such grand things...nice jewelry, fancy dinner, and so on. I don't understand that. I would be quite content sitting at home, making dinner, watching a movie, and just spending quality time. That is me though and I realize not everyone is like me. I just don't needs all the frills I guess.

I have had more people ask me what I am doing tonight and if I have a date and more often than not I have gotten the reaction of, "Are you serious? You don't have a date? What are you going to do?" I am being honest when I say that it doesn't bother me. I am at a point in my life that I am so happy with myself and where I am at that it doesn't bother me that I don't have a special someone to spend the evening with. Not to mention, it's not like I am going to be sitting at home alone. Instead, I will be working and serving couples that are out on a date to celebrate today. I am actually looking forward to it. I am not anti-relationship at all and love seeing cute couples. I realize that one day I will have it also it's just right now isn't the time.

So, everyone have a wonderful Valentine's Day and enjoy spending it however you are. If you do end up doing something cute and romantic, I want to hear about it!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah, I'm with you. I have never been really FOR or AGAINST Valentine's Day. I just kind-of see it like it is: It's a consummerist holiday that supports the people in the flower and candy business. My next door neighbor owns her own flower shop, and she gets a TON of her yearly revenue from holidays like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, etc.

I am all about celebrating love in all of its forms whether or not it's on V-Day or every other day of the year. I don't have high expectations for my boyfriend because that's just dumb. I just feel it's so funny to make such a big deal out of something so silly.

This year (AND last year) Erick is gone on business and so last year I spent Valentine's Day with my best friend Mike (and the year before that), but this year he (FINALLY) has a girl so: Me and 4 of my best girlfriends are going out to dinner and drinks ON MY BOYFRIEND. He is such a good boy to sponsor girl's night! We are going to wear pink and drink pink drinks and eat cake. Yay!

Stephanie said...

I am so glad that I am not alone then with my thinking. I am right there with you. I would definitely be spending the night with some of my girlfriends if I wasn't working. That is no nice that you are doing girls night on Erick. That sounds like a great time. Oh and I made sure to wear a pink top today because I do acknowledge the day, haha.