Sunday, January 13, 2008

Stepping out of my Bubble

I didn't get near accomplished today what I wanted to or should have. Oh well, what can you do. I was very tired after being gone since right after work Friday (that story and pictures to come). I was excited thinking that I could sleep in today, but nope. I remembered I had a baby shower to go to. So I set an alarm and was up earlier than I wanted to be. And let me just tell you how hard it was getting out of bed this morning when I had Eli all snuggled up next to me. But I did.

Back to what I wanted to talk about. I used to be the type that hated going some where if I was alone. I always had to be with someone else. I wouldn't walk in some place (restaurant or gym) alone. I would always have whoever I was meeting meet me out front. If I was ever invited some place and didn't know anyone other than who invited me, I would make up and excuse not to go. It wasn't to be mean. It was just that I was never comfortable doing it. The twins could never understand it either. They always would ask, "How is it, you can be in a room and talk to anyone and everyone, but you can't walk into a restaurant to meet us by yourself?" I didn't know how to answer it. It was just how I was. Over the years though, I have really been trying hard to break that. I got to the point where I could walk into a club by myself to find my friends, I can walk into a restaurant to meet someone or get a table and wait for someone. I no longer need that other body next to me, that extra level of comfort.

That brings up the baby shower. I was invited to a baby shower today for one of the nicest people I know, but where I would know no one really. She is a sweetie. Well, after I told her I would be there, I started getting all bugged out like I would years ago and coming up with endless excuses on why I couldn't make it. But I knew that it would be so wrong on so many different levels if I didn't go. I was the first one to show up and I think that helped out my comfort level a lot. I did end up knowing a couple people just from meeting them at other get togethers with Eli. It turned out really nice. I met new people, I talked to the ones that I had met before and just really feel like I did well for stepping outside my little bubble and comfort zone. I was very happy that I went.

After, I came home and started doing stuff around the house - cleaning and laundry. I got a little bit of the way into it and then had Eli asking if I wanted to go to lunch with him and run a few errands. After not seeing him all day, I couldn't resist doing what I was and jumping in the truck next to him. When we got back to the house, I just finished up what I had started but now have some things that I am going to have to do during the week. Fine by me. Because I am tired and just want to chill and do a whole lot of nothing - well, other than blogging and hanging out with my honey. That is if I can get him off his computer. He is like a little kid in a candy store right now downloading music on his new computer. Gotta love him!

I have to tell you all about ice fishing, but will wait until I can put pictures up. I would do that tonight, but I don't have my cord with me. So, hopefully I will have time tomorrow!

2 comments:

kat said...

OMG we are so much alike when it comes to the going somewhere alone thing.
I eventually got over it after I met my husband which strangely enough made me more independent than I have ever been.


Can't wait for the pics.

angie said...

I get weirded out at first too but calm down when I get there. I had a baby shower on Saturday and was glad that Chrissy was going too because I really didn't know any of the people...it's just an awkward feeling like you won't fit in or something...I get ya!