Friday, January 25, 2008

Office Move

My goodness. For this week only being a 4 day work week due to the holiday on Monday, it sure has been a long one! That is how it always seems to work out though - the short weeks last longer than a normal work week. I have been incredibly busy this week. I finally got to move over into the new office, my own office, on Tuesday afternoon. I am still in between jobs and am still doing the work of both, but I am starting to not feel so misplaced. It is nice having my things with me and adjusting to life in a single office.

Ever since I have started working, I have always shared an office with at least one other person. For the last 10 months, I have been in an office with two others and my boss close by since one wall is a door that opens to her office. That office gets a lot of traffic. The phone is always ringing, people are always coming in whether it be workers needing something or other people on campus dropping off/picking things up. I always had someone to talk to. Always had someone there even if there wasn't any words being spoken, they were still just feet away. Yes, there are plenty of times when I found myself alone in there, but there were still the other people coming in.

This new office is right next door to the old one. It is very small and a little cluttered at the moment. I have rearranged where the computer sits. I can't stand at all having my back to the door. I don't know how people can work like that. It almost gives me anxiety... Anyway. Moved the computer and am still in the process of rearranging other things. The job still isn't "official" so I really can't do too much or get too comfortable. I do know that one change I am going to make is get rid of a file cabinet that completely boxes me in and put in two lateral file cabinets in the corner of the room. This will significantly open the room up and not make me feel so claustrophobic.

Things are going very well at work. I have been busy and feel like I definitely have a purpose here. This would explain for my lack of posting. Hopefully I will have some more to say over the weekend/next week.

1 comment:

kat said...

Hope everything works out in your favor. I never understood how people can work with their back facing the door. I need a wall or window behind me to back me up though in my current job my back is partially facing the door and I don't like it a bit. I feel like I am being watched all the time. Makes me paranoid.