Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back To School Night

Swae's school has their shit together! We had her back to school night last night. Eli didn't go last year because it was on Tuesday, which was a night we had the kids. This year, I called way ahead of time to find out when it would be and then we asked his parents to watch the kids for a couple hours and feed them so that we could both be there. I think that him not going last year screwed him because he was kept from everything and not told about anything that was going on with Swae in her kindergarten class. He was never informed of field trips, conferences, nothing. Which is horrible and sad considering he does care, but his ex wanted to be the "sole" parent.

He never discussed that we would be going with the kids mom and didn't think that we really needed to. The meeting last night was for parents only, which is why we had to leave the little ones. Her classroom was so cute. It was nice to see it for myself and just through a picture. When we walked in, one of her teachers walked up to us and introduced herself. Turns out, she used to work with Eli's mom for years! So that is awesome. She was an absolute sweetheart. She told us to take a seat at Swae's spot and we started reading over the papers they handed out. She then brought over a handout that was sent home with the kids on the first day and said, "Here is a copy for you. I didn't think you guys saw this." It is so nice to know that already we are being kept in the loop.

I really like both of her teachers. The male seems like he really knows what he is doing. He loves teaching first grade and you can totally tell. I am sure all the kids love him. I think that he has a lot to offer and there is no doubt Swae will really do well this year. I am so excited to watch the learning and growing. I am so excited to actually be a part and for it to be known that her dad and I are interested and are a part of her life and will be involved.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow-I cannot believe school started so soon. I am glad you are excited to be a part of her growing. Very cool stuff.

Just Jiff said...

Very very awesome that they are including you guys in what's going on. I know the feeling of being left out and sometimes you just have to step up and say, "I'm the other parent. I need all this information to stay informed on what's going on in my kid's life." That's what we did and it worked extremely well from then on out.

Jodi said...

That is way cool that you guys showed up and made your prescence known. It is only fair and the right thing to do - you go girl!