Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Why I lost my job

I took down my post last week "Fucked up Friday." I took it down because I soon came to realize that the reason I am in the position that I am is because someone decided to turn in my blog to my supervisor's. I guess I could have left the post up though since the worst had already happened, but I wanted to make sure things came out the right way rather than just out of anger. So here is what really happened to me.

I guess after I told one of the employees in my office that she could do her own filing, she was a little upset. I didn't realize how upset or that she was out to get me, but I quickly found out. On March 9, I was called into my supervisors office and was told that I was terminated from my probation. That's right, after 11 months of never being in trouble or being written up, they were letting me go. Lucky for me, I wasn't left without a job. I was fortunate enough to come from UNR and they by law had to take me back. This wasn't a bad thing either because it was something I had been looking into anyhow due to the incentive of them paying for most of my masters. But that is really beside the point. The point is, this certain individual had it out for me. And instead of being mature about it and coming to me with whatever problem she had, she went behind my back and turned in a site that only her and one other person knew that I had. When it first happened I couldn't figure out where it came from and then realized that the only thing that could get me in trouble was my blog. This is in fact the only place that I had ever written anything negative about work. Everyone in the office was a friend on my myspace and so I was smart enough never to put anything there. Even then, I don't feel that I really said all that much to warrant them letting me go. I could see getting written up, but not terminated. Especially when I was just being told how great of a job I was doing and was being put on two really big projects. Lucky for me I am smart and I have ease as to why all of this came down.

All last week I still had to work for the people that let me go while UNR made room for me to have my job back. I think it shocked some of the higher up supervisor's because I actually showed up and did the work. I learned a lot about the person that I am. I realized that no matter how much someone tries to break me, I am stronger. She didn't break me. In fact, all that happened was me becoming stronger and a better person. I don't regret my last 11 months at my previous office. I made three wonderful friendships that I know will follow me wherever I go. I thought the girl that got me in trouble was my friend too, but through this all I realize I was sadly mistaken. Too bad for her because I know that I am a great person and I am a great friend. I just can't imagine how she must feel with all that is going on. I don't think that I would be able to look at myself in the mirror. But that is just me. Whatever though. That isn't my concern and I won't waste my time thinking about it.

As for my supervisor, he was absolutely fantastic. I know that he wasn't behind this. In fact, I could add him to being one of the friendships that I will walk away with, so really that makes 4. I truly enjoyed working for him and still have the utmost respect for him. He is a great person and I know he will go far. In fact, he just accepted another position and I am so proud for him. I loved getting to know him and talking to him. He truly helped me through a hard time in my life and getting over someone that was long overdue. I also still have a ton of respect for the two women who are above him (especially the one I spent my last week with last week). She is absolutely a wonderful person and I can only hope she knows how much I appreciate her and am thankful for all that she did for me.

I started back at UNR yesterday morning. I was a little nervous going back to where I had come from, but it actually was like going back to "home." Everyone was super excited to have me back and both bosses were thrilled to have me. In fact the head one said, "Welcome home!" I guess going back was something that was meant to be. I will get six credits a semester paid for. That is huge when you are taking grad school credits. I am at a place where me and my work is appreciated and I am respected. There, no one is out to get me. So I guess I am thankful. Thankful to be at a place that is so great and welcoming and working with great people.

I am sure there are some of you wondering what the hell is wrong with me since this post is so much different from the first one I posted on this topic. Keep in mind though, I have had over a week to calm down and have pretty much just let it go. I can't say the same for some of my friends though. In fact, Shannon I think was more upset than I was even in the beginning. Her post on the entire topic was outta control and very much expressed how she felt about the whole thing. Let's just say she wasn't as nice. I love her though!

So sorry for being MIA for a little bit. I just needed a break and needed to calm down before I posted something so no more negative came from the situation.

2 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

Great post, I only hope that she reads it and feels like an ass. I hope, over the years it haunts her that she became that kind of person, the kind of person who put her own personal agenda over her friendships. So sad for her!

Jen said...

I STILL can't believe you got fired over that SHIT!? What the fuck ever happened to the 1st Amendment. I would be SOO FUCKING PISSED if I were you!! I would seriously sue them for infringing their lame-ass unconstitutional shit on me!!

Well, In any case: I am glad you are back in an environment where you are comfortable and happy!!

GO YOU!!