Thursday, May 24, 2007

A New Me!

My surgery was a success yesterday! I am so excited. I seriously feel like a whole new person. I went in for my check up a little bit ago and the doctor says I am seeing 20/20! I just can't believe it. It is the most amazing thing to be able to see better than I can ever remember seeing without the aid of glasses or contacts. Indescribable.

I think the waiting before the surgery took longer than the entire procedure. My best friend Kara and her fiance, Paul picked me up and took me. I think they were more excited than I was. They were so sweet and got me a cute little card. It was cute. Once there we all just got to hang out and talk. They took us in this room that had the most comfortable recliners and we just chilled. We were then moved to another room that was connected to the room where the surgery was taking place and the wall between the rooms was glass. That's right, they were able to sit in there and watch everything that was being done. They could see me and the procedure itself was up on a TV screen so they could see all that was happening through the microscope that the doctor was doing.

When I was taken into the room, I was so nervous. I was fortunate to have my mom's best friend right at my side and the doctor was great. He did a relaxation thing to get me to calm down and relax and then started. I would have to say that the procedure didn't hurt, but it was uncomfortable. Well, parts of it was. The part that tripped me out the most was when they cut my eye because my vision went completely dark like I was blind. Other than that, it wasn't so bad. It was just weird being able to see a sponge thing wiping my eye and the doctor moving things around. The laser itself was the easiest part.

After about a half hour for both eyes, they sat me up and they told me to open my eyes slowly. When I did, things were cloudy, but things I normally couldn't see where suddenly able to see. I could read the clock on the wall and I could see Paul and Kara and even read their shirts in the next room. It was the most wonderful feeling ever. Sure my eyes were a little irritated, but it was just neat knowing it was done and after some sleep and them healing, I would be able to see great. I got sent home with a pill to help me sleep and some "sexy" goggles to protect my eyes. I have to say, I was quite attractive last night.

Today my eyes are good...a little scratchy at times. It is just because the nerve endings have been damaged and so they don't know to wet themselves yet. Oh well. I can deal with that right now since I am able to see! So there is my update!

No comments: