Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Pure Saddness

I got a phone call tonight that no one likes to get. My great-grandmother, Nora, passed away this evening around 7pm. We have all known that she has been going downhill, but no matter how much you think you prepare yourself for the time to come, it still isn't easy at all. She was one of the most beautiful, wonderful women I have ever known. She had a heart of gold and loved more than anyone else I have ever known. She is amazing. She fought breast cancer. Her hair was so thin, she wore wigs and loved so much when we would braid her read hair because it felt good...even if she did hide it. Her nails were always long, strong and painted red. And boy did she give the best tickle rubs in all the world. Maybe that is why I am still addicted to them to this day. No matter how bad a situation, she was there to smile and pick you up. Ugh, am I going to miss her smile. And the way that she calls us all 'honey'. And the the tickle rubs. To have her presence at family function...mainly holidays.

It breaks my heart because I didn't get the chance to tell her two things. One being that I was engaged. But like Eli said, she will watching over all our life now and enjoying. And she will be there with us next year on our special day.

I am thankful that she isn't in pain or suffering and knowing she is in a peaceful place. I just wish I would have had one more time with her. To tell her I love her.

I love you Grandma Nora. And I will miss you dearly...and so will the rest of the family.

4 comments:

angie said...

Sorry to hear about her passing...Eli is right she will get to see everything from up above...not that it makes it any easier...hang in there :)

Cristina Mathers said...

sorry for your loss. the wonderful thing is that she touched your life in many way and left you many amazing memories of who she was. hang in there!

Sarah Lynn said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your great grandma. Your fiance is right- she will be watching over you & your family. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Steph, I am soo sorry to hear this news. I apologize for the lateness of this message. I wish you would have told me when we were emailing last week. She looks like a very specail lady. I know she will be watching over you always. Love you!
xoxo