Thursday, July 3, 2008

Going Going...GONE!

Yesterday, I watched my baby drive away with someone other than me behind the wheel. ~tear~ It was really sad. I didn't think that it would be that hard, but it was. My truck was my baby. Before I turned 16, all I wanted was a Toyota Tacoma. All that we found were too expensive for my parents, so I settled with a Ford Ranger as my first vehicle. I was definitely a truck girl. More days than not after school I would go off roading with my friend. It was always so much fun.

About a year later, the truck just wasn't cutting it for me and I was ready for something else. So I looked and looked and ended up at a car show one weekend. The very next day, I took my parents down to the Dodge dealership where we leased me a Neon. It was brand new. At first I was in love it and then I realized, it just wasn't what I wanted. I kept it for quite awhile though and then started looking around. I have a friend that owns Saturn and talked to him constantly about what it would take for me to get out of my car and into something else. That something else I wanted was still a Tacoma. He told me it was pretty much impossible.

April 12, 2004 - my 22nd birthday, I got a call from my friend telling me to get down to the dealership. He informed me they took in a nice looking Tacoma on trade and warned me that it hadn't been through detail yet, but it was very nice and clean looking. I didn't hesitate. I got down there as quick as I could and I fell in love. Even not all shiny clean, it was still beautiful. My friend and I talked back and forth about how we could make it work. The next day or the day after he was saying that it wasn't going to work out because of my car and that the payments would be too much. Then...

April 16, 2004 I was in an accident. The one that totally has fucked up my back and neck and will forever be something that I live with. The accident was not my fault, but my car was totaled none the less. It was devestating and one of the most scary experiences ever. But I survived and so did Tara (who was in front of me). That night sitting in the emergency room, I realized, I needed a new car. I knew there was no way that my car was worth more than the damage done to it. So the very next morning (a Friday), I called and told my friend I would be picking up the truck. I called my back, did all the loan paperwork and all was good to go. I remember going down to the dealership to test drive it and one of the salesmen told me I couldn't because the truck was sold. My heart sunk. I must have looked devasted and deflated because he then asked if I was the one buying it and handed me the keys.

It has been a wonderful vehicle. I would have loved to keep it because there is nothing wrong with it at all and it runs like a champ. But having a family now, it isn't very logical. The "family car" is a much better option for us. Watching the truck drive off yesterday tugged at my heart strings and brought so many memories, but I know that I did the right thing for my family by selling it.

No comments: