Friday, October 12, 2007

My Poor Grams

My great-grandma is almost 90 years old and last Friday she fell and broke her hip. For the last year she has been hospitalized for congestive heart failure and has been struggling staying healthy and strong. So this was something that is just not so good. She was completely drugged up on morphine the first couple days she was in the hospital. The doctors knew they would have to do surgery on her, but had to wait to make sure her heart was strong enough and she would make it through the surgery.

Surgery came and she did well. Doctors were proud of how good it went and said that now it was just a matter of making sure she doesn't get blood clots and then of course, rehab. Well, I got the call this morning that she took a turn for the worse and developed a blood clot. So right now she is on super-duper blood thinners and is requiring a ton of rest. It just breaks my heart. My grams is the sweetest, most lovable woman ever. I just want to squeeze her. They don't want anyone visiting her really because she needs her rest and they can't take the risk of her possibly getting sick. They don't want anything weakening her system. I hate the thought of her laying in a hospital bed and hurting.

All this has really stressed out my Papa. He adores his mom and is always doing everything that he can for her. Her fall happened while he was out hunting and he didn't take the news of what happened so well when he got home. He is the type of person who is constantly worrying about things and stresses over everything, so with this he has been very upset and not getting much sleep. This of course wears on my Grammie because she absorbs all his moods. Last night she got up to do something and her foot was asleep and she isn't really sure what she did, but she must have stopped wrong or something because she hurt her foot so bad that she can't even walk on it. So her and my Papa spent a good amount of time in the ER.

It is all just so sad. My heart goes out to my family right now. I pray so much for my grams to be strong and pull through and stay healthy. And I hope that my Grammie's foot gets better. Oh and for my Papa to get rest so he doesn't end up making himself sick - that really worries me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, I'm sorry that your grandma experienced the blood clot and hurt her foot. I hope she gets better soon. I will keep her and your dad in my prayers.

P.S. You look beautiful in your new picture :)

Jen said...

Bummer! All the way around. Sorry! Man I just know I am going to be one of those SUPER CLUMSY old people always running into things and hurting myself. I think you should all probably take my car keys away after the age of 60 also...

Sending happy thoughts your way!